Vermont Interpreter Referral Service Home | Contact | Site Map
About VIRS
About VIRS
Hiring and Working with an Interpreter
Laws Affecting Interpreting Services
For Deaf/HoH Consumers
For Interpreters
Questions and Answers

Tel: 802-254-3920 (V/TTY)
Video Phone: 802-275-0104 (VP)
Toll Free: 800-639-1519 (V/TTY)
Fax: 802-258-2651

Request an Interpreter Emergency: How to get an Interpreter when VIRS is closed

In this Section:


Hiring and Working with an Interpreter

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, enacted in 1992, most organizations are now required by federal law to provide interpreting services as necessary to ensure effective communication with deaf and hard of hearing people. In other words, when interpreting services are necessary, it is the service provider's (e.g. lawyer's, doctor's, hospital's, state agency's, educational institution's, court's) responsibility to secure and pay for these services. The Vermont Interpreter Referral Service works with service providers and organizations to assist them in complying with the law, locating the most appropriately qualified interpreters and cost-effective terms.

In Vermont, organizations and businesses have two options for hiring interpreters:

  1. Using the Vermont Interpreter Referral Service (VIRS). A Finder's Fee is charged for using the Service.
  2. Contacting the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation at 802-241-3182 or checking their web site for the list of certified interpreters. You would then be able to contact the interpreters directly.
Amy interpreting

"You do a fabulous job We are very pleased with your Service." —Kelly Jane Thomas, Education Administrator, Flynn Center for the Performing Arts

The following links will take you outside of the VIRS Web site:

©2002 VT Interpreter Referral Service All Rights Reserved Contact | Site Map

Home | About VIRS | Hiring an Interpreter | Laws | For Deaf/HoH Consumers | Info for Interpreters | Q&A

Webmaster Tom Mayo - North County Media - Honest and Reliable


Hosting donated by Sovernet Sovernet logo


VIRS home Request Form Emergency: How to get an Interpreter when VIRS is closed